Our team at Emergency Reporting works hard to empower first responders with powerful station management tools. We provide users with awesome features, in-depth support, and easy-to-use web and mobile apps. We serve customers around the world, ranging from small rural fire districts, multi-station agencies, counties, metros and the Department of Defense. What we make here every day really matters, we make it easier for firefighters to save lives and property. Interested in learning more? Check out our story.
Emergency Reporting was locally founded in 2003 as the first cloud-based reporting and records management system for fire and EMS service. Today more than 80,000 first responders across the country trust Emergency Reporting to make incident reports quick and easy, and to help manage their station operations every day.
OUR CORE VALUES
Emergency Reporting is committed to providing an outstanding product and world-class service and support. Our business measures each decision against our core values to ensure the best possible outcome for all our customers and employees:
* Industry Integrity
* Consistent Innovation
* Team Appreciation
* Ongoing Relevance
* Fire Service Advocacy
* Responsible Stewards
Our business Agile principles and value on career growth make us the best choice in your next career move. Emergency Reporting has a casual dress work environment and is located in the Barkley Village close to walking trials, food and entertainment. Our family-friendly environment provides great pay and benefits (insurance, retirement and generous paid time off).
The Software Tester functions as part of a development team, responsible for testing the Emergency Reporting fire and EMS reporting and records keeping system. Responsibilities include testing new features, NEMSIS / NFIRS export testing, bug fixes, gathering, vetting and testing new report requirements, and monitoring other changes to the Emergency Reporting web system to ensure the integrity and quality of the product. This position requires strong technical skills, attention to detail, and great team skills to be part of the overall software development team.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES
- Strive to support and exhibit ER’s company values and culture.
- Adhere to applicable polices and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF EVERYONE IN THIS DEPARTMENT
- Understand and collaborate effectively in ER’s Agile organization using Scrum and Kanban methodologies; and striving to become proficient in our tools and processes.
- Ability to effectively and consistently communicate and collaborate with teammates, sponsors, and stakeholders.
- Be an active part of defining and following best practices around engineering excellence and contribute positively toward ER’s continuous improvement.
- Pursue any relevant continuing education/training to keep up with best practices for engineering excellence.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs testing activities as a member of a Scrum development team, working directly with their Scrum Master, product owner, and lead developer.
- Performs manual system tests to confirm adherence to feature requirements.
- Pursues continuing education/training to keep up with Quality best practices for engineering excellence.
- Writes and ensures automated tests are running as intended, and alerts the development team to any code that has broken one or more automated tests.
- Performs system tests on various platforms, including Windows, Mac, Apple phones and tablets, and Android phones and tablets.
- Properly documents issue(s) found in the ER system and routes those issues to the appropriate developer(s) for resolution.
- Confirms changes to the system work correctly after being released to the production environment.
- Validates customer reported issues and escalates accordingly.
- Work with Support personnel to troubleshoot new issues and flag appropriately as a bug or defect and assess its severity & resolution plan.
- Writes detailed, clear, and complete test plans and bug reports by outlining the steps required to test new functionality or reproduce reported problems.
- Implements process improvements on a regular basis.
- Complies with and adheres to applicable federal, state, local, and company rules, laws, standards, procedures.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attends staff meetings, in-services, trainings, conferences, or other company events as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the QA Manager or Development Lead.
QUALIFICATIONS – EDUCATION, LICENSES & EXPERIENCE
- Experience or familiarity with fire services preferred.
- Secondary education which may include Associate’s degree, Bachelor’s degree of technical equivalent.
- Software development experience; experience working with software developers, in a team, or with Agile Methodologies.
- A strong passion for quality and solid experience in software testing including knowledge of general testing procedures and methodologies.
- Other combinations of education and experience that provide the incumbent with the necessary qualifications may be considered.
QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of different web browsers from a testing perspective.
- Goals and results-oriented, with a passion for engineering excellence.
- Proficient with Internet usage, computer operation, and a variety of software standard to area of assignment.
- Effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Organized with attention to detail, including ability to effectively document and work to get issues resolved.
- Self-directed and able to work independently and effectively to meet deadlines.
- Ability to learn and adapt to changing technologies and procedures.
- Ability to be a competent, effective, and collaborative team player.
- Ability to build positive and effective working relationships with customers, co-workers, vendors, partners, etc.
- Ability to be reliable and accountable for timely work responsibilities.
- Incumbent is subject to a background check and appropriate security clearances.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Travel: Some travel may be required.
- Mobility: Work is performed in an office setting and requires working on the computer for long periods of time. Must be able to move throughout the office to interact with employees.
- Hearing: Must be able to hear verbal conversations over the phone, using collaboration tools, and in-person with background noise.
- Vision: Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine print on various forms.