Build your career, serve your community
About Bellingham: On the shores of Bellingham Bay with Mount Baker as its backdrop, Bellingham is the last major city before the Washington coastline meets the Canadian border. The City of Bellingham, which serves as the county seat of Whatcom County, is at the center of a uniquely picturesque area offering a rich variety of recreational, cultural, educational and economic activities.
City Services: The City provides a full range of municpal services that include public safety, culture and recreation, activities, economic development, street and multi-modal transportation infrastructure, and general administrative services.
Great benefits: We offer employees an excellent benefit program including medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents, plus life insurance and long term disability for employees. The package includes generous paid leave provisions, including vacation, holidays and sick leave. City employees participate in the Washington State Retirement System with joint contributions by the City and the employee.
Current job openings
Responsible for support and maintenance of the City's network and telecommunications systems under the direction of the Network Operations Manager. This includes analysis, design, testing, implementation and documentation as well as day-to-day monitoring and maintenance of assigned systems and components. Prioritizes the availability, operation, maintenance, and security of the City's computer networks.
Coordinates moves, additions and changes for network and telecommunications devices and services; supervises contractors and vendors performing installation, repair, and maintenance of network infrastructure, servers, network cabling and related equipment. Coordinates network systems projects; prepares and administers project budgets, performs periodic audits for policy and security compliance, maintains accurate documentation and detailed records. Requires extensive communication and interaction with technical staff related to systems projects and requirements. Communicates with technical staff, to departments, and to third parties to ensure adherence to technology and security standards. Responds to broad variety of service desk tickets related to network and telecommunications systems.
Apply online by September 20, 4:30 PM
The current full salary range for this position is $5,540/month - $7,293/month. Typical starting salary is at Step 1 - $5,540/month. This position is represented by a union.
The City is currently conducting a market study of the positions in this union. Please note, salary is subject to change pending the implementation of the market study and collective bargaining process.
Job details and online application
- Bachelor's degree in IT networking, computer science, information systems management, telecommunications, or related field.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in network administration in a complex multi-site enterprise environment, preferably including virtual infrastructure management and enterprise storage management.
- Successful completion of network management certifications, telecommunications-related certifications, or equivalent verifiable on-the-job training preferred.
- Completion of CJIS training and certification preferred.
- A combination of relevant experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential functions of the job will be considered.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Preferred Certifications
- Security+ and Network+ Certifications
- ShoreTel/Mitel administration
- Employment contingent upon passing a criminal convictions and local background check.
- Valid Washington State driver's license and good driving record. Must provide a three-year driving abstract prior to hire.
- Willingness and ability to work extra hours or change hours as needed and to respond to evening and weekend callouts for emergencies or when special circumstances require.
Job details and online application